Game Prototype

 


Image of my prototype

This week I started work on my prototype for my final game. I did this by following the instructions of the first weeks Unity tutorials that I did. The idea for my final game is similar to Tony Hawk Pro Skater. I plan on having a skater skating around the screen similar to the first Unity tutorial and destroying crates that come along the way. I also decided that if my player falls off the road then you lose the game but if he destroys all the crates then you win in order to make it quite challenging. I also have the camera at an overhead view so I could see how I was positioning everything in my scene view and I may try do this in my actual game as I quite that look. The little green rectangle is a prototype of my skater and the two big cubes are prototypes off my crates. Setting up the prototype was surprisingly fairly easy however it was the coding that I found quite tricky as always. Thankfully I managed to get my first obstacle destroyed but I had difficulty destroying the second one hopefully I'll figure everything out when making my final game. I'm also having difficulty trying to figure out how to end my game if the player wins or loses as that didn't come up in the tutorial I followed and the tutorials they do come up in have a different setting then the tutorial I'm following so I'm not sure if it will be the same code as the If-statements in the tutorials I've followed where your player dies are usually by the player colliding with objects. I am also having difficulty trying to get my player to my when using the arrow keys but again hopefully that will work out by the time I present my final game. In my prototype there are only two obstacles however in my actual game there will be a few more and I may keep them spread out and near enough to the edge as possible to make it more tricky for the person playing. Doing this prototype might make it easier to do my final game as I will basically be following the same code.

Comments

  1. Hey Eoin Im glad you found creating your game easy so far. The tutorials from throughout the weeks are so helpful when it comes to coding and applying it to your game. I love how you still stuck with the skater game concept, it seems like a real challenge. Why is the skate board a green rectangle ? have you considered importing a skateboard asset?
    One suggestion may be is applying texture to your scene. It is super useful and you can create your texture in Illustrator. There a plenty of youtube videos to aid you and are super easy to follow. I would suggest creating your scene and objects first before applying the code. Once you create your whole scene it will be easy when you start applying code.
    good luck with the project!
    Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eoin.

    Really good prototype. You're a lot further than me. I'm still trying to figure out the code and looking at different Unity tutorials and Youtube tutorials. Did you get your tutorial from youtube? I love the idea of the skateboard passing the crates. I an attempting to execute that as well, I also like the contrast of the colours. For example, the green skateboard and the black surface and the white cubes. I cannot wait to see what the final game looks like.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

My Favourite Game: Grand Theft Auto Franchise

Game Alpha