Game Idea Research

 


Last week I had to brainstorm four ideas for a game that I hope to use. I had to email my lecturer my four game ideas for feedback. The feedback I got for each was fairly mixed. All of them were for separate driving games. I feel like I should do a driving game as we have been looking at tutorials for driving games so I already have an idea of how to do those however my idea might change as I may find further tutorials more interesting and easier to use. The feedback I got from my lecturer for each idea was very mixed. My favourite idea that I thought of was for a game in which you play as a vehicle that has to avoid obstacles such as barriers and have the vehicle travelling at high speed and the obstacles close together in order to make the game more fun and challenging. I took inspiration for this idea after watching the Unity tutorial that showed us how to make a driving game in which you destroy obstacles however I thought I'd go for the opposite approach and make the vehicle avoid the obstacles. I emailed this idea to my lecturer and she thinks that the idea is maybe too similar to the Unity tutorial and suggested I maybe try something different. She suggested that maybe instead of a car I use something different like a ship, a bike, a ball, a skater, etc. This then gave me the idea to try doing a skateboarding game instead of a driving game. 

(https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/skater-close-up-view-jumping-skateboard-35929012.jpg)

I realised all my ideas were either too similar to the Unity tutorials or multiplayer ideas which my lecturer said would require too much work or be too hard to do and too much work in one semester so I decided to take two of the original ideas I already had and change it around a little bit. The two original ideas were the one I mentioned above and another similar idea but with the opposite objective in which the vehicle has to drive over and destroy the crates. My new idea is to have a skater skateboarding around in my game and his goal is he has to destroy as many crates as he can and he also has to dodge barriers that appear in the way by either skateboarding around them or jumping over them. He also has to beat a timer while doing so. The basic concept is he has to destroy a certain number of crates in only a certain amount of time while avoiding certain obstacles. I took inspiration for this from one of my favourite video games Tony Hawk: Pro Skater. I really enjoy playing this game and skater games in general and I think I would really enjoy making my own one and I know I would probably really enjoy playing this game.  Underneath is a link to a gameplay of Tony Hawk: Pro Skater.


Comments

  1. Hey Eoin, nice idea with the skater game and Pro Skater was such a sick game so I'm already looking forward to what you got planned if you got history with those games in mind. I think it's good how you're striving to be unique with your game and not stick too closely to the Unity tutorials. I hope all goes well man and I'm excited to see what your game is like when it's made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eoin,
    i really like your idea how the skating game, It is such a cool ideal, I used to love Pro Skater. I liked how you research tutorials for your game you have in mind, because you do not want to leave yourself short for resources when your'e creating your game. Did you ever consider researching how to apply ramps in unity? I feel like that would be simple to apply and also enjoyable for the user. You might want to add other obstacles other than crates, what about a sign or a pole ?
    Anyways really enjoyed reading this.
    Alex.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Post

My Favourite Game: Grand Theft Auto Franchise

Game Alpha